So you want to be an SEO copywriter? Then I’ve got good news for you my word scribbling friend: SEO copywriting is the bees knees, the dog’s bollocks and the cool side of the pillow.
That’s because clients don’t just want writers anymore: they want strategists.
They want someone on their team who can not only write brilliant blog posts and web copy, but who has the skillset to make sure it rakes in the most targeted traffic from search engines.
By specializing as an SEO copywriter you’re about to enter an elite force of writers who aren’t afraid to put their words where their mouths are and start earning big bucks for their skills.
But before you can whip-up a drool worthy portfolio that has dream clients begging for your keyboard, you need to invest in the right type of SEO copywriting training.
In this article you’ll find a fair comparison of what I believe to be the top SEO copywriting courses on the market in 2022. We also cover what SEO copywriting actually is so you can ensure that you’re making the right decision in niching down in this high-demand skillset.
Let’s dive in.
What is SEO Copywriting?
SEO Copywriting is the skill of writing highly persuasive copy and engaging content that also ranks well in search engines like Google and Bing.
An SEO copywriter will carry out keyword research and make sure that their blog posts and web copy best satisfies the search intent of the user. An SEO copywriter will also be familiar with concepts like how Google uses Natural Language Processing (NLP) to understand language.
For me, SEO copywriting is the perfect alignment of the creative “left” brain and the analytical “right” brain. To paraphrase David Oligvy, an SEO copywriter needs to be both a killer and a poet.
Should you invest in an SEO Copywriting Course? Is it worth it?
If you want to start billing yourself as an SEO copywriter then you need to take a specialized training course.
Your alternative would be to slowly piece together all the information you need from blogs, YouTube videos, podcasts etc and go on a lengthy process of trial-and-error with client projects (which may lead to some burned bridges).
I think it’s almost a duty of care to your future clients to take your training seriously and invest in your skillset from others who are further ahead of you in the game.
With that said, let’s look at our top picks for the best SEO copywriting courses of 2022.
7 Best SEO Copywriting Courses 
- SEO Copywriting Training by SEO Content Institute
- SEO Copywriting Course by Yoast
- Content Marketing and SEO Fundamentals by SEMrush
- 10x Topic Authority by Chima Mmeje
- Content Design and UX Writing by All Women Tech
- Recipe for SEO Success by Kate Toon
SEO Copywriting Training by Content Institute
Learn SEO copywriting by a veteran SEO copywriter with over 22 years experience in the field. This course is designed to work around a busy professional’s packed schedule by introducing topics in small chunks.
- SEO Writing Deep-Dive monthly webinar series
- Topics include: sales copywriting techniques, keyword research, how to optimize existing content, how to uncover new content opportunities and how to measure results of your copy
- Facebook group with discussion board and job opportunities
- Training calls once a month
- 1 Year Access to Training Materials – after that it’s $29 a month to stay on the course
- 1 Year listing on directory
- 7 day money back guarantee
- Course Certificate
SEO Copywriting Course by Yoast
Yoast is an industry leader in the SEO space with their WordPress plugin being used by millions of users. While this course isn’t aimed at copywriters specifically, it can still provide value for copywriters hoping to improve their SEO copywriting skills.
- Access to all Yoast Academy courses
- Access to the premium version of the Yoast SEO plugin for WordPress
- Topics include: writing attention-grabbing copy that is also well-optimized for SEO, how to find keywords for your content, how to know what to write to attract your ideal readers
- Includes course certificate
Content Marketing and SEO Fundamentals by sEMrush
This course isn’t specifically about SEO copywriting, but is still very relevant for those writing blog content or those who want to offering content marketing strategy. It’s a brilliant option for those on a budget (it’s free) and is taught by another industry leader in collaboration with SEMrush, a premium SEO tool.
- Topics: building a content marketing plan, guest posts, content syndication, interviews, types of content, content-based link building
- Additional resources beyond video lessons
- Quizzes to test your knowledge
- Course Certificate
10x Topic Authority by Chima Mmeje at Zenith Copy
I love Chima and all that does and this course is no exception. 10x Topic Authority brings together Chima’s experience as a SaaS SEO copywriter and how to specifically create high ranking topic clusters for your clients. She also adds on some great bonuses like how to nail a sales call.
This course is best suited for an SEO copywriter who wants to upskill in that particular topic, rather than someone who is just starting out.
- Topics include: what is a topic cluster and why they’re important, how to do research for a topic cluster, using SEO tools to build a cluster, create SEO outlines, over-the-shoulder tutorials, measuring the success of your cluster
- Topic cluster template
- Rate sheet template
- Bonus training: how to sell topic clusters
Content Design and UX Writing by All Women Tech
All Women in Tech have a host of courses aimed at helping women get into the tech space. Their Content Design and UX Writing course has a lot of overlap with SEO copywriting and is a great option for anyone who also wants to learn more about UX copywriting.
This course does require you to be there at certain hours and isn’t a typical DIY course.
- Topics included: content strategy, research, verbal guidelines and writing methods, content structure, copy and microcopy, visual content design, SEO & intelligent content, writing for 360, analytics and content management
- Networking opportunities
- Career guidance
- Hiring Day
Recipe for SEO Success by Kate Toon
Kate Toon is household name in the copywriting world and her course, Recipe for SEO Success, is a great investment for someone looking to get a firm understanding of all aspects of SEO. That being said, if you are looking for a course just in SEO copywriting this might be overkill.
- Topics included: SEO fundamentals, technical SEO, writing SEO copy, content marketing, link building, measuring SEO success, local SEO, ecommerce SEO
- SEO Community for support
- Group Q&A calls
- Worksheets, templates and downloads
A breakdown: what course is right for you?
I know that’s a lot to take in but what I’ve noticed about these courses is that each one serves a slightly different type of student.
So here’s a breakdown of what type of person should buy each course:
- SERP Slayer: perfect for copywriters who are looking to niche down into SEO copywriting or who simply want to offer a robust SEO strategy to their web and blog clients. Best for those who love to engage in communities.
- SEO Copywriting Training by Content Marketing Institute: I would say that due to its module on “sales copywriting” this course is better for people who have zero foundation in copywriting itself, rather than copywriters who want to niche down to SEO copy.
- SEO Copywriting Course by Yoast: best for online business owners who want to write their own content and copy for their websites by getting a crash course on SEO copywriting.
- Content Marketing & SEO Fundamentals by SEMrush: I’d say if you aren’t 100% sure if content marketing and SEO truly interests you then take this course for a spin as it’s free and will give you a solid introduction
- 10x Topic Authority by Chima Mmeje: best for SEO copywriters who want to really nail their topic clusters and learn how to sell these as a standalone service for their clients
- Content Design & UX Writing by All Women Tech: great for women who are transitioning in their career and would love to work in-house in a company as a content strategist
- Recipe for SEO Success by Kate Toon: for business owners looking for a full course on SEO so they can DIY their strategy from the bottom up
Ready to Jump into SEO Copywriting?
I really hope this list has been useful in helping you decide what SEO copywriting course is the perfect fit for your needs and budget.
Investing in myself has hands down always paid me back tenfold so if you’re on the fence about making the leap I really encourage you to research these courses and make the decision to choose the best one for your needs.